Wednesday, January 5, 2011

100 Years of ACHIEVEMENT!







As you can tell by taking a look at the panel to your right, I am a proud member of THE KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INCORPORATED, founded January 5th, 1911. On this day, 100 years ago, the GREATEST fraternity in the world began a prestigious tradition of “achievement in every field of human endeavor”. Now, I understand that my enthusiasm just might outweigh yours, so allow me to reel it back in.

What does Kappa mean to me?

Tradition of family. I became a member of the “Arrogant” Alpha Omicron Chapter in spring of 2007 (Shoutout to K.S.K.D.) as a legacy, continuing the tradition my dad began in fall of 1972. Now, the Greek tradition in my family runs far and wide. From my AKA mom to AKA and Delta aunts, Kappa uncles, and Que, AKA, Alpha, & Kappa cousins, I was no stranger to “Greekdom”, as it is commonly described. For a little background, I admire my dad a great deal. He is everything I aspire to be, so needless to say, I strive to make he and my mom proud everyday. A number of specific moments stand out in our parent-child interaction, and among those, I will never forget the proud look I received as my dad gripped me for the first time at my intake ceremony, almost four years ago. It was a look that filled me with a sense of achievement and well doing; a look that signified he was pleased with the continuance of Kappa men in our family. I will always cherish that memory, and I hope I will be able to share a moment much like that one with my son as he furthers the tradition.

Brotherhood. In all groups of people, there are some with whom you grow closer in comparison to the whole. I can truly say that a number of my best friends—true best friends, friends who have had my back in good times and bad, told me what I needed to hear, instead of what I wanted to hear, and friends who have lifted me back up when I was down—are my fraternity brothers. As I have progressed in my schooling and life, in general, I have experienced the true brotherhood of Kappa men when the only common ground was just that, Kappa Alpha Psi, and in return, the only request was to assist the next young brother who needs help. True brotherhood.

Achievement. This is the foundation and fundamental purpose of the fraternity. Think about this for a second. ACHIEVEMENT IN EVERY FIELD OF HUMAN ENDEAVOR. That means excellence across the board. Excellence started by the achievement of TEN ILLUSTRIOUS MEN, the founders of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated, who began this African American fraternity in the land of the Ku Klux Klan, amidst adversity of which one can only dream. Imagine being unable to sit in the classroom and learn with the rest of your peers but persevering despite the odds. Imagine having to always be fearful of your life while you matriculate through school en route to earning a college education. Imagine fostering an organization at Indiana University in 1911 that, now, sees distinguished gentlemen achieve daily, inspired by the example set by these men. “YO” to ALL THE DISTINGUISHED MEN OF KAPPA ALPHA PSI on this day of celebration! Kappa is more than the shimmy, throwing the “YO”, and making envious guys mad (partially because the Nupes WILL steal your girl.. Lol). Kappa Alpha Psi is a tradition centered in brotherhood and achievement in every field of human endeavor. So “I lift a cup of joy and health to every brother here” on this and everyday. Cheers to achievement of self, achievement as a khapter, and achievement as an organization! YO YO!

FaTAIL Attraktion
Spring 2007 - K.S. Konflikt Diamonds
Tre’ Klub, Tail, Rokk
Alpha Omicron Khapter, 1933





No comments:

Post a Comment